Saturday, May 9, 2009

Just like Mary Poppins said!

Sometimes when I need a lift in the afternoons, I make myself some tea.  It's a rare day that goes by that I don't have at least one cup. Usually it's in the morning.  I don't always make it fancy but if I am home in the afternoon and boiling some hot water, I will open my dish cabinet and take out a nice plate.  I have several cream and sugar dishes but I rarely use them because I don't usually add it to my tea.  I have a lot of nice plates and cups so I pick and choose something to suit my mood.  I pick them up at random places and so I might as well use them so I can justify buying more.  


I have two favorite tea cups and this is one of them.  I got it in Montreal last summer and it is basically the total package.  It has a basket for loose leaf tea and when you're done soaking, the lid can be turned over to hold the basket so it doesn't drip everywhere.   The tea that is seeping in the picture is black tea with jasmine.  Jasmine tea is one of m favorite things in the world.


This was one of those things that took just a few minutes to throw together but it really made me feel good to sit down to it.  The shortbread came from some neighbors who just got back from Scotland.  It's really good and I know I'm going to miss it once it is gone.  Strawberries are everywhere right now.  They aren't really in season yet so the ones I have been buying are sort of on the bland side.  When this happens, I sprinkle about a teaspoon of cane sugar over the berries after I cut them in half.  Set them in the fridge for about a half of an hour and they will be much more pleasing to the palate.  You really don't need much to make a big difference in the taste.  I have been eating a crazy amount of strawberries since I read that trick a few weeks ago!  As much as I'd like to take credit for it, I cannot bring myself to do it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment