Thursday, May 28, 2009

Edible Adventures, here I come!



Over the weekend, I got my hands on a copy of each of Clotilde Dusoulier's books because I had a coupon and store credit to use up at Borders.  I spent a good part of today cruising through this really enjoyable and exciting guide for eating in Paris which basically reads like a foodie wet dream.  Towards the beginning of the book, she states that it is her desire that the reader use this book to plan a trip (even if it is in their dreams) to Paris.  She hopes that they will go as far as to bring it with them on their journey to serve as a knowing and friendly reference. As I was reading this part, my heart started to beat more rapidly and I could feel myself flush a bit with reckless anticipation.  It really hit home in my brain that I am going to Paris in about seven weeks.  We've had our tickets and reservations for over a month but it dawned on me today that it's really happening.  It took everything not to give out a squeal of joy.   It was fantastic motivation to buckle down and seriously focus on these language CDs I've been listening to.  It's going to take more effort to get around in France.  I am reasonably seasoned with German but French isn't nearly as familiar.  

In the short time that I read this book, it has already paid for itself in useful knowledge for what to expect when dining out in Paris.  There are also hot tips on shopping in markets and boutiques.   I really feel like I have some good fuel for more accurate daydreams about our vacation.  Except for the part about me communicating in French with skill and ease.  

If you are planning a trip to the City of Lights, I cannot recommend this book enough!  It would probably be torture to read otherwise!  

2 comments: