Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Healing Power of Cake

Cake is a magic word. It feels good to say it. It even feels good to type it out.

Cake.
Cake.
Cake.

It's also a delightful word to hear. Especially if it is within the context of some sort of conversation about the day's menu. Whatever is listed off as the planned meal for dinner can always be nicely punctuated with ...and I made a cake for dessert. Sinking your teeth into the soft and spongey confection (with or without frosting) releases an instant wave of bliss in the brain. Whatever is going on in your life is okay, even if it's just for a few minutes. You will find some comfort here.

The entire process of making and eating cake is a great source of contentment and peace for me. One that I enjoy too frequently, I admit. I try to keep my baking levels to a minimum and I usually only do so for special occasions. I was reading a magazine a few weeks ago and I came across a recipe for rhubarb coffee cake. For some reason, I had a difficult time forgetting about it after I put the magazine back. The thought of the tartness from the rhubarb mixed into the sweet layer of cake was quite appealing. It was a great way to take advantage of the season since I am seeing it everywhere right now. I picked some up from the market last week and I eagerly used the invite to my inlaw's house for dinner a few days ago as an excuse to make it happen.


I originally saw this recipe in MaryJane's Farm Magazine. I tried to Google it and was able to find a blog of some sort that had used it to make a strawberry cake instead of a rhubarb cake. I made a few modifications and the results were enjoyable and satisfying.


Rhubarb Coffee Cake

2 cups flour 2 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp baking soda 1 tsp salt 1/2 cup sugar 1 organic egg, lightly beaten (I didn't have one so I used EnerG Egg Replacer) 1 cup organic sour cream (I only had about half of a cup so I substituted lemon yogurt) 1 cup local rhubarb 1/4 cup sugar 1/2 tsp cinnamon 1 tbsp local butter, slightly softened

Method

  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt with a fork.
  3. Add in sugar, egg, sour cream, and strawberries. (I found it to be a bit thick so I added some soymilk) Mix completely and pour into an 8 x 8 inch pan.
  4. In a separate small bowl use you hands to combine the sugar, cinnamon, and butter. (I also added a bit of flour)
  5. Top the pan with the mixture.
  6. Bake for about 25 minutes. (Mine took way longer than this! I would say it was closer to 40-45 minutes)




No comments:

Post a Comment