Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Gotta Eat Your Spinach, Baby!

This is my "No Fail" meal.  I probably make it once a week and I will not hear a single complaint from my husband or my daughter.  I don't complain about it either!  Why?  Because it takes ten minutes to prepare, uses only one pan and costs about eight bucks to fill three hungry bellies.

What is this miracle?  Spinach and white beans!



This is my family fallback.  I always try to keep a giant salad container of organic baby spinach in the fridge and some canned white beans in the pantry.  The baby spinach is awesome because you can toss it in just about anything so it never has the chance to go bad.  I do spice it up from time to time.  As you can see, I threw in some Tofurkey Italian Sausages.  Sometimes I use arugula or broccoli raab.  

It's simple to make:  Saute some garlic in olive oil and then toss in the spinach and let it cook down.  I add two cans of drained white beans afterwards and it seems to be the perfect amount.  There is never any leftover.  Top it off with salt and pepper to taste.  If I have some homemade breadcrumbs, I might use that as well.   I usually add fresh parmesan cheese.  

As a rule, I always use fresh parmesan!  When I was in high school, I worked at a pizza place and one of my side jobs at the end of the night was to take this massive plastic bucket of powdered parmesan and fill up the shakers on the tables.  When you deal with large amounts of the powdered stuff, you cannot help but notice that it smells like puke!  I am basically scarred for life now!  For a while, I wouldn't even touch fresh parmesan but I realized eventually that it tastes (and smells) nothing like the powdered version!  It is way better!  It may seem like a lot of money to buy the block but it does last for quite a while.  

Since I already played this card for the week, I now have to think of what to prepare for dinner tonight and for the next few days!  

No comments:

Post a Comment