Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Crispy Curly Greens

I have been wanting to try my hand at making kale chips for a while now.  It's no secret that I love salty and crispy things.  Especially when they come in the form of nontraditional crisps!  The last time I was at Trader Joes, I bought a bag of their green bean chips and ate them in an entire sitting.  In my defense, the bag was on the small side.  

I have seen several different recipes and such concerning kale chips.  Evidently, there have been many failed attempts.  I am happy to report that this was NOT one of them!  My only modification when it comes to future batches will be to cut back on the salt.  I was reminded of a Seinfeld episode while I was munching away on the fruits (or should I say 'veggies'?) of my labor because I kept thinking

Man!  These kale chips are making me thirsty!




These were beyond easy to make!  As you can see, I used the curly kale.  I've never had kale I didn't like but my family complains about the curly kind because they say it's too chewy.  The crisps, however, were light and whispy.  Here's what you need...

One bunch of curly kale
Cooking spray 
Sea salt

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees (F) and  tear the kale away from the stems.  Spread it out on a cookie sheet and spray it.  I used sea salt but I am willing to bet that any seasoning would work here!  Masala seasoning is next up on my list! Also, I'd love to see if I can churn out some salt and vinegar chips!  That would rule!

I baked mine for 20 minutes.  Check them at 15 to make sure they are alright.  When they are light and crispy to the touch, they are done.  You don't have to wait for them to cool either!  The entire batch was history within 15 minutes of them coming out of the oven.  I have a feeling, this recipe is going to become my new best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment