Thursday, April 23, 2009

Brain Boosting Smoothie

I was fortunate enough to receive a subscription to Vegetarian Times magazine as a gift last year. For those of you who don't know, I am a magazine junkie! Each issue had bunches of recipes and inspiration and I loved getting it in the mail every month! One recipe in particular has become almost like a crutch. I fall back on it constantly for a quick jolt either for breakfast or a midday snack.

It's a chocolate banana smoothie that uses soymilk. Who doesn't need the occasional soy protein boost? Your heart will love you for it! (as long as you're not allergic). The 'brain boosting' part is from the cinnamon.

1 banana*
1 cup of chocolate soymilk
1 tsp of cinnamon
1 Tbsp of cocoa powder
8 ice cubes (optional---I never use them)

*I've used bananas in varying stages of ripeness and they all work fine. When they still have a bit of green, I've noticed that the smoothie will be a bit on the thick side probably due to the extra starch. It's a great way to use up some bananas that are either not ripe enough or too ripe. My sister still eats them when they're really green and I can't stand them like that. I like a little stank on a banana.




No comments:

Post a Comment