Tuesday, July 7, 2009

How Sweet It Is


I feel in and out of the loop with this latest entry. I finished reading The Sweet Life in Paris a few weeks ago and the book has only been out for about two months. However, David Lebovitz, has been cooking up some amazing food along with equally amazing food writing for years. I have to say that this upcoming trip to Paris has opened so many new doors for me as far as discovering great books, blogs, foods and ideas. I haven't even left yet and I already feel so enriched.

About the book...it's a cleverly written memoir of his experiences as an American chef who has been living in Paris for about seven years now. It's similar to A Homemade Life in that there are several short stories with accompanying recipes. After reading the book, I feel that I am a little bit more prepared for what to expect on our trip. His stories are informative and hilarious! I have learned several bits of etiquette and such from reading the book will hopefully save me from the occasional faux pas in France! For example, I was at one of my favorite food shops here in Princeton. I'm usually chat with one of the girls behind the counter if she is working and we've become casual acquaintances. I was telling her about this book and some of the tips I've picked up and she asked me for an example. I told her that I'd learned to always greet shopkeepers when entering any sort of establishment. Apparently it's considered to be quite rude not to do so! She stopped and thought for a second. I know she has visited Paris and she was probably reflecting on past experiences. She looks at me and says That explains a lot!

His blog is an even greater resource. He is beyond generous with his insider tips on everything from chocolate to food photography. His post on what he considers to be mandatory Parisian noshing sounds way more appealing than standing in line to get into the Louvre or the Eiffel Tower! I only wish I were going to be in Paris at the same time as one of his tours!! What an experience that would be!

I know I'm arriving late in the game with some of these amazing blogs but I'm thankful to have discovered them at the perfect time so that I am able to really put the information to good use! We are leaving for Paris on Saturday! My mouth is watering just thinking about it!


No comments:

Post a Comment