Thursday, June 18, 2009

Breakfast Date

When you have a kid, it's difficult to step out with your spouse for some couple time without having to make prior arrangements. A simple night out turns into a huge deal once you throw in having to book and pay for a sitter. We try to make a little bit of time for each other every week and we find that the best way to do this is breakfast dates. They are cheaper and more casual plus we both love morning meals! It's a great way to start the day! I'm lucky enough that I don't have to be at work until ten and he can usually get away with taking a little extra time in the morning as well. After Molly gets on the bus, we get cleaned up and we head over to The Blue Rooster.

Cranbury is full of historical buildings and the restaurant is located in a beautiful old home. The outside is cozy and welcoming and that feeling doesn't stop once you step inside. There's a lovely sitting room that is followed by a hostess counter where you can either pick up some coffee and homemade baked goods to go or you can ask to be seated in their charming dining area. Also, they were just recently approved for outside seating. The place is owned by Karen and Bob Finigan. They just returned to their hometown of Cranbury after living in Ireland since 2000. Bob learned old European methods of baking at one of the top culinary schools and worked in two different restaurants in Dublin. His baked goods are a more than solid foundation for this fantastic cafe. It's the only place I know of where you can get a fresh baked pain au chocolat. Two dollars will buy you a little trip to Paris. Get there early because they are sold out about 40% of the time we go.

They have an excellent selection of loose leaf teas which is a huge bonus for me! To top it off, they offer a Chinese flower burst complete with glass pots for your viewing pleasure.


I never get tired of watching it bloom. It's my zen moment. I always order the same thing. The servers all know what I want event though they do ask just to make sure I haven't grown a wild hair.


This is the eggs timbale and they're some of the best scramble I've ever had. They're creamy and delicious. They are served with some of Bob's artisan bread which is the perfect vehicle for....


...sour cherry preserves. My absolute favorite. I don't know of any other place that serves them. I make them every summer and it is a labor of love. I really appreciated discovering that they feature them here. It's the perfect way to top off the eggs and tea.

Sometimes I come here alone if Chris is not available to join me just because it's so enjoyable. I feel very lucky to have it so close by. Walking down the streets of Cranbury before and after such a great meal gives me a sense of peace. The food is great, the people are friendly and the menu is very reasonably priced. My eggs with toast, jam and tea runs a little under $6.00 which is a real bargain considering the quality of the ingredients and the skill with which they are put together.

The Blue Rooster also has afternoon tea and will soon be opening for dinner. I'm sure our family will dine there from time to time. Who knows? We might even be able to have a dinner date!

The Blue Rooster Bakery and Cafe
17 North Main Street
Cranbury, NJ 08512
(609) 235-7539

No comments:

Post a Comment