Wednesday, June 17, 2009

For Sweet Teeth

It's difficult to time it right since Chris usually doesn't get off of work until late but after dinner at Cranbury Pizza, the perfect way to top off the evening is to cross the street and go to Cranbury Delights.

The shop is owned and operated by a lovely woman named Agnes. She was born and raised in Hungary and when she came over here to the United States, she brought all of her mad skills with her. Every time I go in, it's different. She has a nice selection of European chocolate and candy as well as her case full of homemade chocolate treats. That is not the half of it though. She also offers up to seven different flavors of homemade ice cream. I've tried several amazing varieties. If you are lucky enough to venture in when the amaretto flavor is on tap, I highly recommend asking for a sample. It knocked my socks off the first time I tried it!

Agi also offers other traditional European desserts from tiramisu to dobos cake. The later is a Hungarian specialty that has several layers of soft cake with mocha flavored cream and caramelized sugar wafers on top. Last September I ran inside of the shop looking for a dessert for Chris' birthday gathering. We were meeting some friends and I had just started my current job so I didn't have time to make anything. I walked over to the display case and saw a pie and a dobos cake. This thing was a show stopper. I was sure that it was totally out of my price range but I decided to ask about it anyways. My jaw almost hit the floor when she told me she only wanted $19.95 for it. I pulled myself together enough to say "Sold!" I carted it over to the dinner party and several people stopped me to inquire where I'd bought it.

If that doesn't take the cake, her pies very well might do the trick! For Thanksgiving last year, she turned into a pie making machine. I asked her later on how many she made and she said over 600. She sells many of her desserts by the slice. During a random visit, I had a piece of pumpkin pie and immediately placed an order for the holiday weekend. Let me say that I've had my fair share of pumpkin pie in the almost 32 years I've been alive. Agi's pie was to die for. I plan on making pies from Cranbury Delights part of our holiday tradition. I raved about it to my mother-in-law and when she finally tried it for herself, she agreed with me. Stop on in and I'm sure you'll agree with me too.


Cranbury Delights
64 N Main St
Cranbury, NJ 08512
(609) 409-6777

No comments:

Post a Comment