Thursday, September 3, 2009

Sausage Fest

Okay....I know this is lame but I am super excited about the fact that David Lebovitz actually responded to something I posted on his Facebook page today! Not once but TWICE! I was catapulted into the Fangirl Stratosphere for most of the day!!

That's not why I'm here though. I am here to talk about fake meat. We went to the Silver Forge Farm not too long ago for an impromptu combination of breakfast and lunch....what's that word again? ;-)

Anyways, I brought over two different packages of sausage to cook up along side the fresh eggs, potatoes and tomatoes that Shannon and Eliezer were throwing into the mix. I am a big fan of the Tofurkey brand sausages. I usually cook the kielbasa in kraut and beer and I panfry the Italian kind and serve it up with all sorts of different things. The only one I don't care for is the bratwurst. It seems a bit bland.

Lately, I've noticed a new kid in on the block. I got curious and decided to pick up some Field Roast brand links. I do mean links too! They are actually connected when you take them out of the plastic wrapping. I've seen several different products in the refrigerated section. I'm eager to see how the roast will hold up in a crock pot. The mention of sage on the front of the packaging is what sold me on these links. I think sage really compliments the flavor of sausage and not enough people who try to make vegetarian versions incorporate it. They rely too heavily on fennel seeds.

Shannon cooked both of them together and they each had their strengths and weaknesses. The flavor of the Tofurkey Italian sausage is hard to beat. However, the texture of the Field Roast was pretty darn close to the real thing. It is easy to remove it from the casing and that makes it an absolutely perfect candidate for use in creating a good sausage gravy. I have plans to try this in the near future. I'll let you know how it goes.

Both of these guys made for an excellent breakfast accompaniment. Every last bite of sausage was cleaned out of the serving dish and no one had anything negative to say. If I were just eating some eggs, I'd probably want the Tofurkeys. However, I do believe that when the biscuits come into play, the Field Roasters will have their time to shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment