Monday, August 31, 2009

Another Sunday, Another Brunch.

Just so you know, I don't spend every Sunday at fabulous restaurants. I do a fair amount of brunches at home too. However, when Shannon and Eliezer mentioned going to Kaya's Kitchen this weekend, we just couldn't pass it up! I've been dying to try out their breakfast menu! Their dinners are fantastic so I knew that they wouldn't let me down with the most important meal of the day. The thrilling aspect was being able to order anything I wanted since the restaurant is 100% vegetarian.

We arrived a little after 11:00 and we scored immediate seating (two brunches in a row now!). No hippy worth his or her patchouli is going to be out of bed before noon so as long as you get there before, you're good to go! By the time we left, all of the tables were taken. I was up late at a concert the night before so I was dragging a bit. I also didn't eat anything beforehand so I'd be able to properly gorge myself. When they set this amazing plate in front of me, I forgot about the rest of the world.


This was the Memom platter. It's supposed to represent a typical southern breakfast. I'll break it down for you piece by piece...

The ham: I was expecting to love the sausage more but this stuff was awesome!
The sausage: I still put a hurtin' on this guy despite the above statement.
The tofu scrambler: It comes with a veggie scrambler but I asked for a plain one because I wanted to taste it. I personally prefer my tofu scramble to theirs but it's still good!
The biscuit and gravy: My hopes were high so it was the biggest sore spot on the plate. I was hankerin' for white gravy and this was 'shroomy. The biscuit wasn't all that either. In their defense, they aren't southern.
The apple sauce: Homemade and a nice balance to all of the salty stuff.
The potatoes: Good.

Do you see that sammich hiding in the shadows back there? That is The Gypsy Devil. Leave it to a gypsy to swipe the plate out from under my breakfast. I immediately regretted ordering the Memom when I had a bite of this thing. It was that good. It's a pork roll, egg and cheese on a delightful bun that really does well to frame all of the flavors. I plan to order this when we go back on a Sunday morning. I hope it won't be too long. Kaya's Kitchen is a bit on the pricey side so we space it out. There is an all you can eat vegan buffet on Sunday evenings and we might have to hit that for our next visit.


It's located in a strip mall near the shore. Right behind Freedman's Bakery.

Kaya's Kitchen
817 Belmar Plaza
Belmar, NJ 07719
732-280-1141

No comments:

Post a Comment