Sunday, September 13, 2009

Bread Like a Hole

I try my best not to eat too many bagels these days. When we moved to Plainsboro, we fell into a major rut because there is a fantastic place about 1/3 of a mile from where we live. I am talking about the one and only Bagel Street Cafe.


When I lived in Birmingham, I was food shopping with a friend. We were in the frozen section and I opened one of the doors to get a bag of bagels. At least that's what I thought I was doing. He informed me that these were not "real bagels". He had previously lived in Buffalo, NY and was pretty well traveled. At that time in my life, I'd never really been out of the southeastern U.S. He explained to me that bagels aren't supposed to be too flat on the bottom. These hadn't been formed, boiled and baked. These I had in my hand was more like a rolls with a hole. I didn't really get what he was saying but he said I would understand one day.


A year after I met Chris, he took me to New Jersey to meet his family. We stayed for a little over a week and did all sorts of amazing things. One morning, he took me over to Red Bank and we had bagels for breakfast. Real bagels. I took one bite and realized my friend was right.


I understood.


The skin is shiny and a little hesitant to yield at first but the teeth eventually sink into a doughy abyss. And they are slightly rounded on the bottom. I couldn't get over what I was tasting. I've had the pleasure of experiencing a few different bagels shops in the area. I've grown accustomed to the classic flavors and I am always excited to see creative and new selections.


Bagel Street Cafe has just about every bagel base covered...and them some. They make right around twenty different types of bagels fresh every morning. Sweet selections such as chocolate chip, blueberry, strawberry and cinnamon raisin. Their savory choices are what truly sets them apart. Tasty flavors like pumpernickel, rye, sourdough, asiago, garden veggie and jalapeno cheddar can really get your morning started with a smile! My all time favorite is their everything bagel with egg and cheese. It never lets me down. They don't stop with breakfast. They also do burgers on bagels as well as pizza bagels. They do other sorts of breakfast and lunch fare such as pancakes and salads but you'd really be doing yourself a major disservice to go down that road. Not that the food is bad but why would you not get a bagel at a place that specializes in them?!


If you want to be the most popular person at your next morning gathering of either coworkers or friends, stop in and get a baker's dozen for only $9. If you really want to start a fight, make it a point to select one or two of their decadent french toast bagels...


They have a huge cold case full of almost every different drink imaginable. They also have the classic bagel accompaniments. The lines are often long but the crew is efficient and it goes by fast. If you're carrying out, call ahead and they'll have it waiting for you. Chris and I actually have their number programed into our cellphones!


Bagel Street Cafe

660 Plainsboro Rd. #18

Plainsboro, NJ 08536

609-936-1755


No comments:

Post a Comment