Sunday, June 27, 2010

Sweet Home Alabama

It was a bit quite out here in the blog front this past week. I wasn't even on Facebook all that much which really says something! I was home visiting friends and family in Alabama. The week was nonstop action so I just didn't have much internet time. I already have a backlog of blog posts and so I'd better get rolling.

This post is a must. When I think of good food in Huntsville, two places come to mind. This is one of them. It's a total hole in the wall that you would never hear about through anything other than word of mouth. Cracker Barrel it is not. This is the real deal.

This is soul food.

G's Country Kitchen

I was lucky enough to have a friend who brought me here back in the day when I used to live in 5 Points. I grew up with food like this but a new standard was set that day. I was a frequent customer after that. I ate here when I was pregnant with Molly and can remember bringing her when she was a tiny baby. I moved away from Huntsville a year after she was born and a long time passed before I was finally able to come back. A few years ago, I convinced a friend to come and eat lunch and I was thrilled that G's was still alive and kicking! It still looks and feels exactly how I remember it and it's one of those few places where I am able to attain a true sense of self. Where I am, where I've been and where I came from.

After you've had a seat and a moment to take in this humble establishment, you might notice the sign resides over the kitchen window: This is not fast food. It's a true statement. It's slowly cooked and seasoned and if you want something fried, it's cooked to order. Do yourself a favor, forget the scale. You can't go to G's and not have something that has been fried!



Many southern food establishments have a rotating menu of meats and veggies. G's has specials but their list of sides is set. There's nothing worse than looking at a menu on Wednesday and seeing that greens and fried okra are on the menu for Friday.

As you can see, I went with the fried green tomatoes. Speaking of greens, this is one of the few places I know that offers both collards and turnip greens everyday. I could not pick one for the life of me so they gave me both! I've always gone with the black eyed peas so I can get down to business...

Every plate is served with a slice of onion and tomato.

After every meal, I am usually way too stuffed to even think of dessert. Don't make that mistake here. This is the reason why to-go containers were invented. The desserts here are a religious experience that will have you saying Oh my GOD! after every bite!

The banana pudding and red velvet cake are the top players. I don't know if I want to take responsibility for picking a favorite because you really should have both. I did. I went here TWICE while I was home and had pudding one day and cake the next. If you're lucky, you might have a choice. The first day, it was made for me because the cake was sold out for the day. The reason being that this is the best red velvet cake on the planet. This stuff will make the pleasure center of your brain sing! I took a piece back home to New Jersey for Chris and it had to go through airport security. If it had tested positive for drugs, I don't think I would have been shocked. The withdrawl that I'm feeling right now is making me itchy!



Don't bother to lick the screen. I already tried that and it doesn't work.

G's Country Kitchen
2501 Oakwood Avenue
Huntsville, AL
256-533-3034

No comments:

Post a Comment