Friday, June 18, 2010

Old School NYC

While we were in the City two weeks ago we decided to go with a light dinner since brunch was a big affair (as it should be). We also had tickets to La Cage Aux Folles (OMG! AMAZING!) and didn't want to risk being late by going to another hot spot to eat.


We decided to offset trendy with classic. Other than hitting up a hot dog stand, a knish from Yonah Schimmel is the cheapest meal you can get while still enjoying an authentic New York City experience. Knishes are like small hand pies. A biscuit like crust that is wrapped around potatoes with or without other things mixed in. They have a great selection of fillings that they combine with the potatoes (mushrooms, spinach, etc) and you have the option of adding cheese to any of them. They have other Jewish specialties such as latkes and borscht which is served cold inside of a clear plastic drink cup. Borscht is one of those things I desperately want to like. I ordered it the first time I went here but was totally put off by the temperature. If you enjoy that sort of thing, this stuff struck me as serious business! It had a good flavor and I did manage to make it halfway through the glass before I called it.

It's easy to get carried away when looking at their menu. A knish doesn't sound like much and it's difficult to believe you'll get full anywhere in NYC for less than four bucks. Lane wanted to order two but the waitress told him to start with one. He and Brooke each got a potato knish and I went with the red cabbage. One thing I love about Lane is that he was conscious of the fact that I enjoy photographing food and waited to eat until I was done without me even having to ask! That's a good friend!


If you don't think this will fill you up, you can make it a combo with slaw and (delicious) pickles. If you're still hungry, you can try one of their dessert knishes. They have chocolate and cherry/cheese which was what we went with.

The bill for all three of us to eat dinner was $21 and some change which is a serious bargain! Those things held us over through our show, while we walked through Times Square and then for our train ride back to New Jersey.

Do you want a delish knish without the trip to New York City? Neither do I but sometimes it's not always possible to get to the City. I don't know if there's an app for that but there is a relevant post! My first visit to Yonah Shimmel inspired me to learn to make them and I posted the recipe! They're time consuming but very much worth the effort!

Yonah Schimmel's Knishes Bakery
137 E Houston St
New York, NY 10002
212-477-2858

No comments:

Post a Comment