Thursday, January 7, 2010

Tastes Like Chicken

A while back, I promised a follow up for dinner at Kaya's Kitchen to accompany the brunch post from a few months ago. Last weekend, Chris and I finally got around to it. We don't live very close to Kaya's which is both fortunate and unfortunate. I'd probably have even more weight to lose than I am already dealing with if we weren't an hour away!

We basically save it for special occasions. Chris' parents live close by so sometimes we head over if we are visiting them and my mother-in-law doesn't plan on cooking one of her fabulous meals. There are a lot of great choices on their menu. My favorite thing to order would have to be the fake chicken legs! I have to say that it's one of the most convincing off all of the faux meats I've ever had. The texture is almost scary! Honestly, I do not remember chicken ever tasting this good. This is moist and full of flavor. You have a choice of either BBQ grilled or fried. The meal comes with four legs so I usually do two of each. They're both awesome so it's difficult to say which is the best. Texture wise, I love crunching into the fried but the flavor of the BBQ is tough to beat. The meal came with a veggie medley but I always get the kale here. It's fantastic. Kaya's loves their gravy and I am having great difficulty coming up with a sight that is more delightful than that of a boat. In fact, this blog was almost The Gravy Boat. True fact!

I've had a few of the appetizers. The "ribs" stand out as a favorite. Of course, you can blame my southern upbringing for my strong love of anything with barbeque sauce on it! The soups are always good too. I can't remember going there when Chris hasn't ordered the burrito for dinner. He's a man who knows what he likes. (That's why he married me) The dessert menu usually changes around depending on what they have. They're homemade and delicious but I rarely have room for it! Almost their entire menu is vegan but if you order something with cheese (like the burrito), you have a choice of dairy.

Kaya's Kitchen uses the finest quality organic ingredients so don't allow the relaxed atmosphere fool you. It isn't cheap. I am pretty sure the chicken leg meal was $16 but it was worth every penny. I've never had a meal at Kaya's that didn't result in a deep down soul satisfaction.

Kaya's Kitchen
817 Belmar Plaza
Belmar, NJ 07719
732-280-1141

No comments:

Post a Comment