Thursday, March 18, 2010

Any Excuse

Yesterday I decided to throw together a special dinner for St. Patrick's Day. I don't have many decorations for the spring holidays (St. Patty's or Easter) but I do try to make it a point to display what little I have because Molly loves it. I know we're not Irish but we love any excuse to do something fun around here.


Corned beef is one of the main things I miss as a vegetarian. I'd rather have corned beef on St. Patrick's day than turkey on Thanksgiving. I've managed to live without either one for a while now. I know that the above picture doesn't look like a very exciting substitute but I promise you that those humble little potatoes and sprouts turn into something magical when you throw in a little bit of ghee...


I actually used two small pans to roast all of these guys so they could get some good surface area on the hot dish and get all nice and brown. I roast them on the better side of 45 minutes at 400 degrees. I pan cooked some Tofurkey Italian sausage and tossed them in with the veggies. This might've been the best sprouts I've ever made. Molly and Chris devoured them. I used to use olive oil but I'm a firm ghee convert now. There is a local supplier in West Windsor who makes their own organic ghee from grass fed cows. They will most likely be at the WW Farmer's market this coming season and you can also get their awesome product at Whole Foods on Route 1.


This is my tiny set up. I found that knitted clover at a thrift store years ago and I've used it every year since then. The eggs are s+p shakers. I also have a great brooch with a real preserved four leaf clover in it that I found on our last trip to Red Bank.

I realized that I didn't have any Irish soda bread so I remedied the situation today. McCaffrey's doesn't have bad soda bread. My favorite comes from Delicious Orchards in Colts Neck. We had Guinness in the fridge but I went for a Stella Artois. Nobody pinched me so I believe it's safe to assume that I got away with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment